Turnitin is an online text matching tool that scans your assignments against existing sources for improper citations or potential plagiarism. This tool compares assignments to previously submitted work as well as website and database content.
Mohawk College instructors use Turnitin to check for the originality of student papers.
Click the icon below to try Turnitin for yourself:
Follow these steps to submit an assignment:
- Join the Library@MyCanvas Course in MyCanvas
- Click on the Assignments link in the left hand sidebar
- Click on Turnitin - Check Before Submitting Your Assignment
- Click on the Start Assignment button
- Upload a file, or choose a file you've already uploaded
- Click on the Submit Assignment button
NOTE: When you use the Turnitin folder your papers are not deposited to Turnitin’s repository.
After you submit your essay, Turnitin will generate a Similarity Report, which highlights matches between your essay/paper and other sources, flagging passages that require better paraphrasing or referencing. It may take a few hours for a report to display.
Follow these steps to view the report:
- From the Assignments tool, select the assignment that you have submitted, and click on Submission details
- To view your Similarity Report, select the Similarity Percentage
- Items in red indicate a high similarity percentage while items in green indicate a low percentage of similarity