Preparation for Convocation (Graduation)
- Requirements for Graduation
- Preparation for Convocation Checklist
- Applications to Graduate - Forms and Deadline Dates
- Convocation Ceremony Dates, Times and Location
- Ceremony Details
- Convocation Ticket Information
- Checking the Grad List
- Graduation Designations
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Replacement Diploma or Certificate Request Form (PDF)
- Contact Information
Preparation for Convocation Checklist
Important Check List:
- Have you successfully completed all courses in your program of study?
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have met the requirements to graduate. Processing of course exemptions, clearing of incomplete grades and any other outstanding issues have to be completed before you will be cleared to graduate.
- Do you have any outstanding liabilities?
Liabilities incurred by you at the college must be paid in full prior to your convocation ceremony or your diploma/certificate will be withheld. Your financial record can be checked through MOCOmotion, My Student Account tab, Access Self Service, My Student Account, View Student Records and Financial Account, View Holds.
- Is your mailing address correct on your student record?
Check and update your mailing address through MOCOmotion, My Student Account tab. For assistance, please contact The Square - Student Services (C102) at (905) 575-2000 or, from Brantford, at (519) 759-7200 ext. 2000, or toll-free at 1-866-410-4795, or by email: email@example.com.
- Have you applied to graduate?
Once you have completed the program requirements to graduate, you MUST apply online to graduate (see “Applications to Graduate – Forms and Deadline Dates” below).
- Have you checked the Grad List?
See “Checking the Grad List” below.
Applications to Graduate - Forms and Deadline Dates
- Post-Secondary Day Diploma and Certificate Programs
For Post-Secondary day diploma and certificate programs or Post-Secondary diploma/certificate programs taken through Continuing Education.
- The Deadline to Apply for June 2014 Convocation is Monday, April 21, 2014. For assistance, please contact 905-575-2000.
- Continuing Education Request for Certificate (PDF)
For Continuing Education certificate programs
Convocation ceremony is held each October. The deadline to submit is August 15th for the October Convocation.
- Apprenticeship Application to Graduate (PDF)
For Apprenticeship programs
Convocation ceremony is held each October. Students must have completed all courses in their final level before their certificate will be issued.
Convocation Ceremony Dates, Times and Location
Mohawk College 2014 Spring Convocation
Monday, June 9, 2014 - 2:00 p.m.
McKeil School of Business
- Business - Marketing
- Public Relations
- Event Management - Convention and Meeting
- Office Administration programs
Monday, June 9, 2014 - 7:00 p.m.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
School of Language Studies
School of Media and Entertainment
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 2:00 p.m.
Biotechnology, Chemical, Environmental programs
Computer Science and Information Technology programs
Mechanical, NDE, and Aviation programs
Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 7:00 p.m.
School of Skilled Trades and Apprenticeship
Building and Construction Sciences programs
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 2:00 p.m.
School of Justice and Wellness Studies
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 7:00 p.m.
School of Health Sciences
Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 9:30 a.m.
School of Human Services
- Autism and Behavioural Science
- Child and Youth Worker
- Concurrent Disorders
- Early Childhood Education
Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 2:00 p.m.
School of Human Services
- Educational Assistant
- Human Services Foundations
- Instructor for Blind and Visually Impaired programs
- Recreation and Leisure Services
- Recreation Therapy
- Social Service Worker
Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 7:00 p.m.
McKeil School of Business
- Business - Accounting
- Business - Financial Services
- Business Administration
- Business Foundations
- International Business Management
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Tourism and Travel
McIntyre Performing Arts Centre
Mohawk College Fennell Campus, Hamilton, Ontario
In order for the ceremony to be conducted in a dignified manner, suitable for such a special occasion, the full cooperation of the graduand is requested by the convocation staff.
Graduands must meet at the designated area (follow the signs down to the registration area in the On The Go section of the cafeteria) ONE HOUR prior to the ceremony to:
- receive a gown
- establish the procession order for the ceremony
NOTE: IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ARRIVE AT THE DESIGNATED TIME, IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO SEAT YOU WITH YOUR CLASSMATES.
- All students are required to follow tradition and wear the ceremonial black gown at all times during their ceremony. Students who either fail or refuse to wear the black gown or who discard it at any time during the ceremony SHALL NOT BE ALLOWED to participate at convocation and/or cross the stage. Graduates are prohibited from wearing hats, pinning anything to your gown, and carrying anything into the Theatre at the time of the ceremony (i.e. cell phones, cameras, purses, pictures, flowers, food or drink).
- The ceremony is expected to last approximately one and a half hours and graduates are expected to remain for the duration of the ceremony. Graduates and their families are invited to attend a reception following the ceremony.
- Graduates must return to the area where they registered for the convocation in order to return their gown and liripipe. Graduates will be charged for items not returned.
- The liripipe may be purchased after the ceremony for a cost of $25.00.
Convocation Ticket Information
• You must request tickets for the convocation using the Convocation Ticket Request Form which will be available starting Tuesday, April 29, 2014, on the My Student Account tab on MOCOmotion, under the My Graduation channel.
• The maximum number of tickets allowed per graduate is three (3), and convocation tickets should be requested by Friday, May 16, 2014.
• If you are cleared for graduation (i.e. your name appears on the Grad List posted online) you will have your ticket order processed, and an e-mail sent to your MOCOmotion e-mail account, giving further instructions on how to pick up your tickets.
• The graduate does not need a ticket.
Limited seating in the theatre restricts the number of guests allowed. Extra tickets, if available, can be obtained on or after Tuesday, June 3, 2014 starting at 9:00 a.m. by calling 905-575-2000 or toll-free at 1-866-410-4795.
• The online Convocation Ticket Request form will no longer be available after 3:30 p.m. on Monday, June 2, 2014.
Checking the Grad List
• The Grad List for the June 2014 convocation will be posted
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 12 Noon on MOCOmotion, My Student Account tab, My Graduation channel.
All Post-Secondary Program (diploma or certificate) potential graduates, including those who completed their Post-Secondary program through Continuing Education, MUST check the Grad List when it is posted online.
All Apprenticeship Program potential graduates MUST check the Grad List when it is posted online prior to the October ceremony.
Continuing Education Certificate Program graduates do not have their names posted on the Grad List as they have already been cleared to graduate.
• DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOUR NAME IS ON THE GRAD LIST EVEN IF YOU ARE SURE YOU ARE CLEAR TO GRADUATE!
It is the responsibility of the potential graduate to check the grad list AS SOON AS IT IS POSTED. Mistakes may happen and your department only has until Monday, May 26, 2014 to make corrections or additions to the grad list.
The potential graduate is to check the grad list to confirm that:
- your name is on the grad list
- your name is spelled correctly
- the Program you are graduating from is correct
- Honours status is correct (if applicable)
- Co-op status is correct (if applicable)
CONTACT YOUR ACADEMIC AREA ASSISTANT IMMEDIATELY IF:
- your name does not appear on the grad list
- your program is incorrect
- you do not have Honours status and feel you should
- you are not showing correctly as a Co-op graduate
CONTACT THE SQUARE - STUDENT SERVICES (Room C102, Fennell Campus):
In person or by fax (905-575-2109) if your first name or surname needs to be changed. When you request a name change, you will have to show legal documentation as proof of your name change. Call 905-575-2041 or 905-575-2036 for minor spelling corrections to your first name or to add a middle name.
• Students not clear to graduate for the Spring 2014 Convocation MUST REAPPLY to graduate once all program requirements are complete.
- Graduand: Designation for a student prior to receiving their diploma or certificate.
- Convocation: Official ceremony for awarding of diplomas and certificates.
- Liripipe: The Liripipe was first used in Europe during the Middle Ages as a mark of distinction. A Master would take the tail (or Liripipe) of his Master's hood and present it to his student as a recognition that the student has successfully completed his training period, and was now accepted into the Guild.
Upon receipt of a diploma, graduates are entitled to use a designation, as described below, after their names:
|3 Year Technology Programs||Dipl.T.|
|3 Year Business Programs||Dipl.B.|
|3 Year Applied Arts Programs||Dipl.A.A.|
|3 Year Health Sciences/Human Services Programs||Dipl.H.S.|
|2 Year Programs||Dipl.|
Frequently Asked Questions
What time should I arrive for the Convocation ceremony?
You must arrive ONE HOUR prior to the start of convocation to register and receive a gown. Follow the signs down to the registration area in the On The Go section of the cafeteria.
If you arrive in the registration area after the graduate registration has taken place, you may not be able to be seated with your classmates.
What if I cannot attend the ceremony?
You must still apply to graduate (and check the Grad List when posted, if applicable) even if you are not able to attend the convocation ceremony.
Diplomas and certificates will be held for pickup at The Square - Student Services, Room C102, Fennell Campus, for one week following the ceremony.
If they are not picked up in the first week following convocation, they will be mailed to your home address.
**Make sure your address on MOCOmotion is always kept up-to-date.**
What if I owe money to the College?
Graduands with outstanding debts to the college (fees owing, parking fines, MSA emergency loans, etc.) can still participate in the ceremony, but will not receive their diploma/certificate until the debts are cleared.
How long is the ceremony?
The ceremony is expected to last one and a half hours and graduates are expected to remain for the duration of the ceremony.
Guests are invited to the reception immediately following the ceremony, and graduates will join guests at the reception as soon as their gown and liripipe have been returned to the registration area.
Are there any costs associated with the ceremony?
There are no additional costs. The convocation fee is part of the fees you have already paid.
Is there anything I should know about photographs or videotaping?
Mohawk College will be videotaping and simultaneously live streaming our convocation ceremonies on the web.
Mohawk College will have a professional photographer taking pictures during the ceremony. Guests are invited to take photos.
A professional photographer will be available before and after the convocation ceremony.
Photographs taken during convocation may be used in official college printed and electronic publications.
Is there anything else I should know?
Graduates must return to the registration area immediately after the ceremony to check out and return their gown and liripipe. Gowns and liripipes will be available for picture-taking purposes at the reception.
Liripipes will be available in the Campus Store, Room C104 (beside the Square) for purchase for a cost of $25.
Gowns are rented by the college for the ceremonies and are not available for purchase.
Gowns and liripipes not returned immediately following the ceremony will be charged to your account for the cost of these articles (gown $75 and liripipe $25).
All students are required to follow tradition and wear the ceremonial black gown at all times during their ceremony. Students who either fail or refuse to wear the black gown or who discard it at any time during the ceremony SHALL NOT BE ALLOWED to participate at convocation and/or cross the stage.
Graduates are prohibited from wearing hats, pinning anything to your gown, and carrying anything into the Theatre at the time of the ceremony (i.e. cell phones, cameras, purses, pictures, flowers, food or drink).
Questions regarding the ceremony can be directed to The Square - Student Services at (905)-575-2000 or, from Brantford, at (519)-759-7200 ext. 2000, or toll-free at 1-866-410-4795, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding your Program of Study, Grades or Eligibility for Graduation should be directed to your academic department.